Hurricane Matthew Community Information
Florida-LSU football game is on. Final decision on possible status change will be made at 1pm Thursday.
- Bradford County Schools-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- Clay County Schools-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6-10/7 (already were scheduled to be closed Friday)
- College of Central Florida-CLOSING at 5pm Thursday, CLOSED all day Friday
- Lake County Schools-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6-10/7
- Levy County Schools CLOSED friday 10/7
- Marion County Schools-CLOSED Friday 10/7; Thursday and Friday evening activities are cancelled
- Polk County Schools-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- Putnam County Schools-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- Queen of Peace Academy, Gainesville-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- Santa Fe College-CLOSING Thursday 5pm through Sunday.
- St. Francis Academy, Gainesville-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- St. Patrick Interparish School, Gainesville-CLOSED Thursday and Friday 10/6 & 10/7
- Sumter County Schools-early release Thursday 10/6, CLOSED Friday 10/7, activities Thursday & Friday evenings cancelled
- Union County Schools-CLOSED Friday 10/7
- University of Florida-CLOSED friday 10/7
Alachua County Public Works Department has set up a sandbag location at the roadside park, located at 11855 NW US HWY 441 in Gainesville. The roadside park is located on the east side of US 441, five miles north of the Highway Patrol Station. Sandbags are available for residents of Alachua County, with a limit to 10 bags per resident. Bags and sand will be provided. Residents should bring a shovel, as they will be responsible for filling the bags. Bags will be available between 7:30 am to 5 pm.
Marion County Information
The Marion County Citizen Information Line is active for anyone who needs information regarding Marion County and Hurricane Matthew at 352-369-7500.
SANDBAGS-City of Ocala
The city of Ocala will have sandbag locations for city residents available Wednesday and Thursday (10.5.16 & 10.6.16) from 8am to 6pm at:
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Complex at 1510 NW 4th St (off SR 40/Silver Springs Blvd)
Tuscawilla Park at 829 NE Sanchez Ave, at the large pavilion off of NE Watula Avenue (Staff recommends approaching the sand bag station in Tuscawilla Park from the south to allow for a more efficient traffic flow.)
Sand bags are provided to City of Ocala residents at no charge. Limit is 10 per household.
Marion County Emergency Management has sand bag locations at four MCSO District Offices.
North Multi District Office - 8311 N Hwy 441 Ocala, FL 34479
South Multi District Office - 3260 SE 80th Street Ocala, Fl 34480
Forest District Office - 1600 E. Hwy 40 Silver Springs FL, 34488
Dunnellon District Office - 19995 SW 86th St. Unit 3 Dunnellon, FL 34433
These locations are mostly self-serve, but if you need any assistance, please see the front desk staff member at the District Offices during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily). There is no sand bag limit at these locations.
Get local storm information and breaking news sent directly to your mobile phone
Text* SKY to 72881 and keep informed before, during & after the storm
*Automated message & frequency is recurring & varies, Click here for Terms & Conditions, Message & Data Rates May Apply, Not a condition of purchase.
ARE YOU READY FOR A MAJOR STORM? Important reference lnks
New Preparedness Maps
Click for Florida County Emergency Operations Center Websites
Insurance Claims Assistance and Storm tips: 877-My-FL-CFO (877-693-5236)
The Florida Division of Consumer Services: Videos, brochures, resources and tips, along with a Disaster Preparedness section that includes a home inventory checklist.